The complex of buildings at 60 Valley Street is made up of conjoined buildings built during different time periods over more than 200 years. In 1773, Christopher Olney, operator of the Rising Sun Paper Mill, constructed a one story building for use as a paper mill, calling it the Brown George. After several different owners, the Brown George became part of the Providence Bleaching Dyeing and Calendaring Company (PBD&C) in 1845.
Many improvements and expansions were made in phases to the buildings and surrounding land to modernize the plant between 1845 and 1918. A three story building parallel to the bleach house was constructed for bleaching, packing, and storage. By 1900 the two buildings were combined into one and between 1843 and 1888 several modifications and additions expanded the operations of PDB&C. The mill continued its operations into the 20th Century, eventually specializing in fast color vat dyeing of cotton fabrics and the finishing of heavyweight fabrics. After World War II, the company equipped the plant for dyeing and finishing synthetic materials. During the next few years, the company was unable to secure a profitable market and was eventually liquidated in 1952 after 137 years of operation.