Washington Park Restoration and Cemetery Excavation

Burial grounds excavation conducted during Washington Park renovation and expansion
Burial grounds excavation conducted during Washington Park renovation and expansion
Excavated burial plot
Excavated burial plot
Tombstone
Tombstone

In 2010, Gray and Pape conducted archaeological and historical investigations of the former Episcopal Society of Christ Church burial grounds for the renovation and expansion of Washington Park. Located in the heart of downtown Cincinnati, Washington Park is bounded by West 14th and West 12th streets to the north and south, and Race and Elm streets on the east and west. Analysis of archival records, cultural materials (including clothing items), engraved headstones, and coffin/casket forms and associated hardware indicates the cemetery was in use as early as 1808 and remained active until 1855. Although most of the human skeletal remains were not well preserved, the excavated burials provided insights into mortuary practices during the early- to mid-nineteenth century, as well as demographic information of those interred within its boundaries.


Warning: implode(): Invalid arguments passed in /home/graypape/public_html/wp-content/themes/bullwhip/single-project.php on line 23

Warning: implode(): Invalid arguments passed in /home/graypape/public_html/wp-content/themes/bullwhip/single-project.php on line 24